[Doc-SIG] Re: Oscar - pre-announcement over on Types-SIG

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:04:54 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> I would prefer to require spaces on both sides of the colon, to
> avoid accidents in cases like::
>
>     Mission: Impossible
>         A cheesy 60's TV show and lame 90's movie.

Sorry - I wasn't precise enough.

What I was trying to say was:

Do we care if we have two forms with different meanings which only
differ in whether the colon is preceded by a space or not - i.e., that::

    term : classifier

has a radically different meaning than::

    term: classifier

(the former is a term and classifier, the second is just a word followed
by a colon).

Tibs (still not too fussed about it, though)

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"