[Doc-SIG] Sad news, cause for delay

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:57:27 -0000

I was hoping to have a significant release of docutils either just
before Christmas (planning to have several hours to work on it on Friday
22nd, after colleagues had all departed work) or just after (again,
expecting to get some time to put aside for it over the break).

Unfortunately, my father became seriously ill just before Christmas, and
all plans were put on hold. He went into hospital for further tests
before New Year, and died Wednesday (yesterday) morning. Basically, he
had pancreatic cancer, which is classically caught late and about which
there's not much one can do. He was only 62, and he and my mother were
looking forwards to their retirement (with plans to live on a
narrowboat, amongst other things).

I'm not entirely sure when I'll get back to docutils work - although
strangely enough playing with the software in my head was sometimes a
useful distraction whilst otherwise sadly engaged.

In the past, I've never quite seen why people dedicate things (software,
books, etc.) to people, but I think now I understand, and you may find
that David Ascher's "paragraph tags" get extended to include a
"Dedicated-To" keyword...

Sadly,
	Tibs

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"