[Doc-SIG] pydoc.py (show docs both inside and outside of Python)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:18:36 -0000

<fx: jumps up and down in glee>

Neat stuff. Ka-Ping Yee strikes again. And it works with Python 1.5.2.

<fx: more of the same>

Running on NT (4.00.1381) in an "MS-DOS" window, using Python 1.5.2
installed in the effbot manner, it works, with the slight strangeness
that if I do:

	python pydoc.py <name>

I get the documentation for <name> OK, but it is preceded with a line
claiming that:

I don't have the time to pursue this at the moment - it's possibly an
artefact of our system?

(one minor "prettiness" hack - those of us who have been tainted by
Emacs Lisp programming tend to start module documentation off with a
line of the form:

	<name>.py -- information about the module

which, when pydoc'ed, results in a NAME line which starts with <name>
twice...
Of course, if I'm the only person doing this, I'll just have to, well,
stop...)

A request - a "-f" switch to allow the user to specify a particular
Python file (i.e., something not on the PYTHONPATH).

Tibs

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"