[Doc-SIG] Docstring markup process

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:34:33 -0000

> anyone who wants to propose a particular markup format
> should write a PEP describing that format in detail.
> Only formats described in a PEP will be under serious
> consideration.  By an agreed deadline, we can vote on
> the PEPs, and then be done with it.
>
> Of course we can discuss the various proposals here, but it's a big
> step forward to get them written up and all in one place for
> comparison.

I have printed out PEP 1, and notice that it seems to say that only
someone with access to the python-dev list can propose a PEP (or rather,
it heavily implies that generation of the PEP happen there).

I *know* life can't be that simple, as I'm sure some of the existing
PEPs have started on other lists. So what is the situation? Does one
just put something together and send it to Barry Warsaw with some
plausible excuse?

Ka-Ping - are you proposing anyone in particular to start a PEP for
usage of ST<whatever> in docstrings, or shall I divert sideways and
wrest something out of the STpy documentation? Since I'm sporadically
trying to update the ZWiki entry for this stuff, and aiming to update
the STpy document *anyway*, I guess this would be an opportunity to
convert it into STpy (nowt like the documentation being
self-referencing).

Tibs

Well we're safe now....thank God we're in a bowling alley.
- Big Bob (J.T. Walsh) in "Pleasantville"