[Doc-SIG] suggestions for a PEP

Edward Welbourne Edward Welbourne <eddy@chaos.org.uk>
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:16:57 +0000 (GMT)

Tony, then Edward:
>> On the other hand, sometimes people want that effect (the
>> difficulties of mixing presentation and markup, and not being
>> specificallty a typesetting language - ho hum).

> Too bad for them. :)  If they really need *that much* control over
> their typesetting, they shouldn't be using ST.

If they're thinking that hard about layout, they aren't concentrating
hard enough on writing API documentation and the result isn't going to
be maintainable ('cos when I next fix a bug in their code, and update
the docs, I'm going to have zero patience with their fancy layout, so
I'm going to normalise it to something straightforward).

If we pander to the folk who care more about appearance than information
content, we're doomed.  Look what happened to poor old HTML ...

	Eddy.
--
Keep It Simple, Styoooooooooooopid.
Keep It Straightforward, Simpleton.