[Doc-SIG] quoting

Edward Welbourne Edward Welbourne <eddy@chaos.org.uk>
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:02:36 +0000 (GMT)

>> I think we should add that '\\' is a single backslash and #\\# is too.
>> Otherwise, there's no way to end a literal with a backslash..

> Yes, I guess so. Can you hold that thought to hit me over the head with
> when I forget to document it in the STpy documentation, please?

r""" ... '\\' ... """ contains a verbatim literal with two backslashes
in it.  There is no way to end a raw string with a single backslash
either; but it turns out not to be such a huge problem, after all; and,
if '\\' is to be only one backslash, one gets to revisit the entire
nightmare of ... users wanting to know why

r""" ... '\n' ... """ contains a two-character literal fragment, \n,
while
r""" ... '\\\\\\' ... """ contains a three-character literal fragment
but
r""" ... '\\\n\\' ... """ contains a four-character literal fragment
and

and I'm too tired to go into this, but it's a nightmare waiting to bite.

	Eddy.