[Doc-SIG] backslashing

Edward Welbourne Edward Welbourne <eddy@chaos.org.uk>
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:07:21 +0000 (GMT)

Edward, then Tony:
>> we have to have some way of distinguishing python literal blocks from
>> vanilla literal blocks (so we'll have 5 different literalish types:
>> literals; inlines; literal blocks; doctest blocks; and python literal
>> blocks).
>
> That way lies madness, 'cos what about C code, oh, and maybe some
> Haskell is very important, and...

No, only python is special.  All other literals are aliens and shall not
be distinguished.  Just as with 'verbatim alien' and #verbatim.python#

It *does* matter to distinguish between verbatim python and verbatim
alien text, partly because we might want to (after the fashion of
doctest) verify that an alleged python verbatim *does* at least parse
and partly because the renderer may well wish to make some identifiers
in it be hyperlinks; whereas verbatim alien text should be simply echoed
(subject to stripping its indentation down to the level of its context,
naturally).

	Eddy.