[Doc-SIG] What's important in a docstring markup language?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:28:03 -0500

> >   9. URLs
>
> Quite important if this is meant to be "joined up" documentation (to use
> a horrible buzz phrase our politicians seem addicted to). It is very
> important to be able to reference documentation elsewhere, and having
> them "clickable" in derived formats that support that ability is
> important too.

IMO, URLs don't need any special markup.  They can just be recognized
in the text and automatically highlighted.  Lots of tools processing
plain text do this (including the FAQ wizard, which has a trick or two
to make this work reliably even when there's punctuation following the
URL).