[Doc-SIG] RE: Python 2.0 quick reference...

Simon Brunning SBrunning@trisystems.co.uk
Fri, 25 May 2001 16:02:15 +0100

> From:	Fred L. Drake, Jr. [SMTP:fdrake@acm.org]
> Simon Brunning writes:
>  > The new version of the Python Quick Reference is at
>  > <http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/python/PQR.html>. It occurs to me
> that
>  > members of this list would be best placed to advise me as to future
>  > directions...
>
>   I'm not sure what you mean by "future directions" -- changes in
> organization? content?

Changes in *format*. Hand coded HTML is liable to get messy, especially when
passed from hand to hand. The Quick Reference as it stands is a perfect
example of this! I'm looking for a better format to keep the master version
of the quick reference in.

>  I agree that moving the styling into CSS is a laudable goal, but I
> don't think that means getting rid of PRE sections (assuming those are
> code examples or interactive sessions).

I don't have a problem with the <pre> sections used for code examples and so
on. But the tag is used extensively as a way of presenting *tabular* data.
'Real' tables using the <table> tag are *much* easier to work with
programmatically.

>  The Python docs are in LaTeX using fairly extensive custom markup.
> I don't expect that would be appropriate for the QuickRef, but perhaps
> if you wrote it using the "howto" document class and formatted it to
> use a single HTML page.  You'd also get PostScript and PDF formatting
> for free that way.  Information on the LaTeX markup for Python
> documentation is available at:
>
> 	http://www.python.org/doc/current/doc/doc.html

Doh! <Smites head> Thanks, Fred, for being too kind to tell me to RTFM. But
that's what I'll do!

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.