[Doc-SIG] reStructuredText-to-HTML XSLT

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:05:25 -0400

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) wrote:
> Hmm. If I understand what you're saying, then surely one just needs to
> emit XML without putting in any extraneous whitespace? We already have
> "pretty" mode, which can produce XML that is aimed at a human (i.e., has
> indentation, etc.)

And we have "raw" mode which doesn't do indentation but still inserts
newlines, which count as extraneous whitespace.

> In other words, the only whitespace outside <...> is that which the user
> typed...

I've modified quicktest.py to:

- not add newlines in "raw" or "styled" modes, and
- accept a stylesheet file name for styled mode so we can try out the
  offerings easily

The resultant .xml file will be of the "big blob of text" variety, but since
it's not for human consumption that's OK. Trying to get something
"semi-pretty" but still "raw" enough to avoid the extraneous whitespace
problem would be a pain that isn't worthwhile right now (if ever).

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net