[Doc-SIG] rST hyperlink syntax

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:40:06 -0400

Alan brings up some good points about usability. I will be mulling it all
over for a while before I respond in detail. I would very much like to hear
what others think.

Meanwhile, a minor point I'd like to clarify:

Alan Jaffray wrote:
> I'll confess that I don't buy the argument that "allowing explicit markup
> to start with something other than ``.. `` adds complexity".
> Keeping the same number of constructs while making some of them simpler seems
> like a reduction of complexity to me,

It's *one more* distinct construct for the parser to catch (and the author &
reader to remember), not the same number, therefore one construct more
complex.

I meant that adding another line-starting construct adds complexity in and
of itself: one more string that a line can't otherwise start with. This
added initial complexity may be offset by the benefits it offers, in which
case there would be a net gain.

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net