[Doc-SIG] Producing output

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:59:31 -0400

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) wrote:
> Guido (and others) pointed out that DOM trees can be a bit awkward
> to use, and that Python has a perfectly good object model, so why
> transform the "internal" tree (for you *would* have to be mad to be
> constructing the internal tree in DOM - I know, I tried it) into
> something else rather than using it directly.
>
> So that's the route being taken (whether David was ever listening to
> what I was saying, and would have gone the XML/DOM route, I don't
> know.

Yes, I was listening to both sides os the discussion. Not having used
DOM before, but seeing that it seemed to fit the bill, I started off
using it. Gave up after about 5 minutes though. It's fine for data
coming in from outside, but not for building document trees
programmatically.

> He's quite sensible, you know...)

Why, thank you!

> (indeed, having that similarity also gives one good leverage in
> *understanding* what the DPS nodes tree is about - simple things
> like the use of tagnames, children, attributes, etc. - terminology,
> I guess - what it *misleads* me about I haven't yet found!)

My background includes 2.5 years of intense SGML work, analyzing
documents, writing DTDs, implementing processing systems, etc. So the
terminology comes naturally to me too.

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net