[Doc-SIG] Re: Document titles (was RE: [Docstring-develop] D PS - possible bugs/features)

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:21:36 +0100

From: David Goodger [mailto:goodger@users.sourceforge.net]
> > 1. The parser makes one up (yuck)
> > 2. The application makes one up (yuck)
> > 3. An error is generated (yuck)
> >
> > I'd vote for 3 ...
>
> Probably me too, in those cases where it's necessary. If the writer
> doesn't need a document title, it need not complain.

As an alternative, let's take a higher level view. Someone, somewhere, is
going to be running this stuff via command-line wrapper applications. In
that context, the obvious approach would be to have a command-line option
which specifies the document title, with "the only" section header being the
default, and with an error generated if there are no or too many sections.
So you have

    rest2html --title "My Document" doc.rest >doc.html

That seems logical to me. How it gets propogated down to the guts is for you
guys to work out :-)

Paul.