[Doc-SIG] Re: [Docstring-develop] pydps - new version uploaded

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:09:02 +0100

David Goodger wrote (in response to me, earlier):
> > (yes, it's a text file written in reST, despite my grumbles at David
> > the other day about file extensions).
>
> I think ".rtxt" is the winner, by the way.

Yes, I think so - it *looks* enough like ".txt", and is short enough.

> I ran pydps.py on reStructuredText.txt and took a look. Wow! Very cool
> to see the text come to life.

I get a thrill from it too! And I know how little it's doing... (it
makes it a lot easier to *read* the documentation, as well, I find).

> I had some trouble running it over some Python modules though
> (tracebacks sent separately).

Thanks. All such are good grist for the mill.

> I didn't see any unit test code in the distro...

I know. I still need to get to grips with such matters - I *like* it
when I can test stuff before writing it (so to speak) - but
unfortunately the tests to write are rather scary, since I find it hard
to think of *small* things that need testing.

It's a bullet that shall have to be bitten, though, at some stage,
because I assume that code won't be allowed into docutils (as will be)
until it can test itself.

Tibs

.. "equal" really means "in some sense the same, but maybe not
.. the sense you were hoping for", or, more succinctly, "is
.. confused with". (Gordon McMillan, Python list, Apr 1998)