[Doc-SIG] Re: [Docstring-develop] pydps futures (was RE: Document titles)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:09:04 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> Strictly speaking, a filter reduces the amount of information. Rather
> than "combs", I'd use the common term: "transforms".

I suspected that "comb" wouldn't last (well, except maybe in code).

But then, I never managed to get the term "thing" accepted in the
geographic information standards community (which has too many meanings
for each of the terms entity, feature and object, and desparately needs
something else!).

> Tony's made a good start listing the transforms we'll need.

And, as I discovered reading the latest version of the
reStructuredText.txt document last night, David has already documented
some as well.

> Auto-numbered footnotes have attribute ``auto=1`` and no label.

Yes.

> Auto-numbered footnote_references have no reference text (they're
> empty elements). If you resolve the numbering, just add a label
> element to the beginning of the footnote, and reference text to the
> footnote_reference.

...example snipped...

Hah - yes, in the context of a tree transformation, the obvious thing to
do *is* a tree transformation - I'll hope I'd have realised that when
going from the HTML producing code to a tree manipulation algorithm.
Hah.

> Let's use "_footnote " + footnote number for those attributes
> (a name-mangling unlikely to occur in the real world; note that
> this hasn't been documented yet).

Hmm - I wasn't assuming that unnamed autonumbered footnotes would have
any name other than the number (since you're following the XML tradition
and storing such things as strings anyway).

>(It will soon be my pleasure to document the dps/nodes.py data
> structure, since I'm gradually forgetting its details.)

Whereas I'm gradually discovering them - good, that will save me a job
(I shall, however, read the documentation as you produce it and
comment).

> After adding labels and reference text, the "auto" attributes can be
> ignored.

Or even removed? or no, that wouldn't allow you to backtransform into
reST again...

Tibs

Well we're safe now....thank God we're in a bowling alley.
- Big Bob (J.T. Walsh) in "Pleasantville"