[Doc-SIG] Re: PEP 287: reStructuredText Standard Docstring Format

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 23:33:31 -0500

Thank you to everyone who has commented on PEP 287, be they in favor,
well-meaning but opposed, or ill-wishing troll ;-) [1]_.  I have been
otherwise busy and haven't been able to keep up with replies, but I have
read and kept a record of all the posts so far (and will, for posts yet to
come) for consideration and reference when revising the PEP.  I may not be
able to offer timely replies to all the posts; ultimately the revised PEP
will serve as an umbrella reply.

.. [1] Actually, the posts opposed and even the trolls are often the most
   useful, since they point out weaknesses and help strengthen the
   arguments.  The number of people posting *in favor* of the PEP was
   roughly the same as the number opposed, but supporters tend to be
   silent while protesters tend to be quite vociferous and relentless.

Over the weeks to come, I will be revising PEP 287 and related PEPs 256-258,
merging the reStructuredText_ and DPS_ projects into the renamed Docutils_
project, and producing a "road map" describing the big picture.  Further
suggestions for improvement are welcome.

.. _reStructuredText: http://structuredtext.sourceforge.net/
.. _DPS: http://docstring.sourceforge.net/
.. _Docutils: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/

A special thanks must go to Richard Jones for taking up arms (or keyboard)
in my stead, and for taking the initiative to start work on `A
ReStructuredText Primer`_.  In hindsight it was much needed, and it's coming
along nicely.  Thanks Richard!

.. _A ReStructuredText Primer: http://mechanicalcat.net/tech/quickstart.html

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects: