[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Searching Python docs

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:17:03 -0500

> We currently have two documents that discuss the C API, though they
> take (mostly) different approaches.  The API reference has a tolerable
> index (the symbols are there, at least), but the Extending & Embedding
> document doesn't have enough index entries to be very useful (so
> little we don't even include an index), even though it contains some
> strongly overlapping information.
>
> I *think* it might be a good idea to merge the two documents, but I'm
> not certain I really like that.  There is a strong need to add good
> index entries to the existing Extending & Embedding document at the
> very least, and a combined index would be very valuable.  This is
> something that's been requested for the entire set of documents on
> many occaisions, and would be very handy.  (Especially if we provided
> a better interface for it!)

The E&E document should be turned into a tutorial, with a bunch of
platform specific things about building.  The API reference
documentation (in particular PyArg_ArgParse and Py_BuildValue) should
be moved from the E&E document to the API document.