[Doc-SIG] docutils HTML contents generation and Netscape

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:27:34 -0400

Pearu Peterson wrote:
> While viewing docutils generated html files with Netscape (4.77) I have
> noticed that links in Contents to document sections do not work at all
> (they work nicely with Mozilla though). It seems that Netscape does not
> understand HTML div tags well.

Netscape 4 is broken when it comes to HTML 4 & CSS 1 support, which is what
html4css1.py produces.  Thanks for the patch; unfortunately it won't work in
all circumstances.  ``nodes.make_id`` cannot be relied upon to produce a
unique ID; see ``nodes.document.set_id`` to see how it's used.  But based on
your bug report I've reworked the HTML writer in several places to get
better results from Netscape 4 (footnote & other references didn't work
either).  I'm not going to commit to full Netscape 4 support (it's a
bottomless pit), but if you find other cases where the HTML doesn't work, I
may fix the writer if the fixes aren't too hard.

> I'll try to report these glitches but without trying
> to fix them too hard if that's OK.

Yes, please do.  Bug reports are welcome.  The best place for them is the
SourceForge bug tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=38414&atid=422030

--
David Goodger  <goodger@users.sourceforge.net>  Open-source projects: