[Doc-SIG] looking for prior art

Doug Hellmann doug@hellfly.net
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:04:47 -0500

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 10:16 pm, David Goodger wrote:

> I've looked over the HappyDoc code and Tony "Tibs" Ibbs' PySource
> prototype. HappyDoc uses the stdlib "parser" module to parse Python modules
> into abstract syntax trees (ASTs), but that seems difficult and fragile,
> the ASTs being so low-level.  Tibs' prototype uses the much higher-level
> ASTs built by the stdlib "compiler" module, which are much easier to
> understand.  I've decided to use the "compiler" module also.

I'm pretty sure HappyDoc was written before the compiler module was generally
available, but I'm not sure.  I've only had to make a few minor
modifications to it in the past, since the language syntax hasn't evolved
that far.  I'm working on a major overhaul of HappyDoc anyway, so now might
be the time to rewrite the parsing stuff to use the compiler module.  If
you're interested in collaborating, let me know.

Doug