[Doc-SIG] References in the same line as the target text

fantasai fantasai@escape.com
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 23:42:49 -0400

David Goodger wrote:

 >     A paragraph containing an `inline
 >     hyperlink`_(http://www.example.org/).>
 >
 > However, I really don't like that syntax; it doesn't make sense.
 > Let's examine it and see if we can come up with something better.
> However, looking at the URI-recognition code (based on the IETF
> standards RFC 2396 and RFC 2732), parentheses are legal URI
> characters.  This would introduce ambiguity (a legal URI containing
> parentheses wouldn't be recognized properly).  Curly braces and
> backquotes are not legal URI characters, but they *are* legal email
> characters (see RFC 822).

Why would accepting curly braces in an email address preclude using them
to delimit a URI? I think this:
    `inline hyperlink` { uri_with@weird,symbols }
looks much better than this:
    `inline hyperlink`__ __<uri_with@weird,symbols>

Whitespace cannot appear literally in either URIs or email addresses,
so any leading/trailing spaces should be stripped.

In cases where there is no ambiguity (e.g. no @ symbol), the uri
can be put in without the leading/trailing whitespace.
  `docutils project` {http://docutils.sourceforge.net/}

~fantasai