[Doc-SIG] Call for opinions on "inline external targets" idea

Simon Budig Simon.Budig@unix-ag.org
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:38:30 +0200

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) (tony@lsl.co.uk) wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
> > The problem, as I understand it, is that Simon wants to do this for
> > *relative* URLs, so he's looking at
> >
> >     Talked to X, Y and Z from ABC (localfile.htm)
> >
> > which reST won't pick up as a link. So the transformer won't
> > see link nodes, which leaves us back at parsing raw text.
>
> Ah - I keep forgetting that - mainly because I parse the statement::
>
>    I want relative URLs, without an ``http://`` at the
>    front, to be recognised.
>
> as being in the same class as the statement::
>
>    I want the moon to be made of cheese.
>
> - i.e., it might be fun (for some sense of fun), but it doesn't make
> much sense.
>
> So what's the problem with the overhead of just making the URL be a
> legal URL - i.e., adding the ``http://`` in front of it? It's about the
> same amount of typing as all the other solutions being proposed (and
> then my "solution" can be applied...).

Because this needs a complete specification of the server and the path
and makes it necessary to edit a group of documents when you just want
to move them to another location.

Bye,
        Simon
--