[Doc-SIG] ASCII to Word?

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:36:17 -0400

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002, grubert@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> In the absence of better advice, I'm going to convert to OpenOffice's
>> XML format, then use OpenOffice to convert to Word.  One way or another,
>> I'm assuming that Python will be used for at least the first stage of
>> translation.
>
> just for fun i started a try at a pdf writer, but have not really much
> time so if you really need a writer i might try to adapt or make a
> different one.

As Guido said, ReportLab has a PDF product; in fact, I use PythonPoint
for my presentations (see my web page for examples).  But I don't think
that will help for getting to Word format.

> for going to word html might be not a bad option as word would read
> it as i heard. what means word actually, a word readable format is
> definately something different ? would rtf be word enough ?

RTF is an old format with few features; in particular, it doesn't
support index tags.  :-(  I suspect HTML would have the same problem;
I'll assume it does unless someone can tell me otherwise from direct
experience.

What I'd really like is a DocBook-to-Word converter, but I haven't seen
anything like that.  If I don't get anything here, my next step is to
ask on comp.text.xml.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In the end, outside of spy agencies, people are far too trusting and
willing to help."  --Ira Winkler