[Doc-SIG] ANN: pysource v0.1

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 1 May 2002 10:03:28 +0100

With thanks to David Goodger, I'd like to announce that version 0.1 of
pysource is now available.

.. note: "pysource" used to be called "pydps", but the
   old name makes less sense now we have Docutils.

   (If anyone can think of a better name, it would be
   welcome - of course, pydoc is already taken.)

pysource is able to parse Python files and produce documentation
therefrom. It attempts to follow the dictats of the Docutils and
restructured text PEPs - specifically, if a module contains a top-level
assignment of::

    __docformat__ = "restructuredtext"

(or one of several variationss on that theme), then it will also parse
docstrings in that module *as* reStructuredText, and integrate the
results of said parsing into the resulting document. That includes a
first stab at generating references from interpreted text (e.g., "class
`Fred`").

This is really a "proof of concept" implementation - it has lots of raw
edges, and the HTML it produces (by default) is, shall we say, rather
garish. I believe that it is actually useful at this stage, however.

The software is available from the Docutils sandbox:

    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/tibs/pysource/

or as part of the daily sandbox snapshot:

    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docutils-sandbox-snapshot.tgz

More information can be obtained by:

 * Looking at the readme.rtxt file in the "doc" directory.
 * Typing "pysource.py --help".
 * Running pysource on the pysource module and looking at
   the resultant HTML.

Any comments will be mightily welcome.

Now I've got to learn to use CVS...

Tibs

Give a pedant an inch and they'll take 25.4mm
(once they've established you're talking a post-1959 inch, of course)