[Doc-SIG] list of tools for the doc-sig page

Edward Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 01:19:04 -0400

> I agree.  Coincidentally, I've been working on updating the Doc-SIG pages.
Sounds good.  Any idea when the new page will be up?

> Given that, and the amount of duplication, I think the
> home page (http://www.python.org/sigs/doc-sig/index.html) and status page
> (http://www.python.org/sigs/doc-sig/status.html) ought to be merged.
Agreed.

>>I'll also include a slightly reduced/summarized text version of the
>>table below, in case that's more convenient for some people.
>
> Does epytext handle *that*?  ;-)
Epytext doesn't do tables at all.  But "links -dump" is a very good
thing. ;)

> Some corrections to the Docutils entry: HTML, XML output formats, with
> LaTeX, DocBook, and PDF on the way (with a caveat);
I was trying to list features that are currently available; that's why I
didn't include docbook etc. for docutils, and didn't add "I" (generates
docs via introspection) under notes.

Are HTML and XML output available for producing *API documentation*, or
just for reStructuredText?  If it's available for producing API
documentation, then you should definitely include it (and I'd be
interested to see what it looks like).

> most of the code is
> public domain, with some Python license, some other OSI-approved (details in
> http://docutils.sf.net/COPYING.html).  The caveat is that the docstring
> extraction part is very much under construction (although it seems that
> Richard Jones has been scratching an itch; gotta take a look at what he's up
> to).

Since you'll probably be the one adding it to the doc-sig page, feel
free to make whatever changes seem appropriate.  Since the docutils
licensing is somewhat complex, you should probably just say "docutils
license" or something, and link to COPYING.html.  Also, if you're
feeling motivated, you could extract the gendoc/pydoc/teud licenses from
their respective packages, add a .html file for each one, and link to
them (those are the only packages whose licenses aren't directly available).

-Edward