[Doc-SIG] Old versions of the docs on python.org

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Aug 12 12:38:28 EDT 2003

Garth Kidd writes:
 > I suggest keeping them on the site, but adding META tags suitable for
 > preventing search engines from indexing them. People will thus be funnelled
 > to the main documentation because that's where the search results will
 > point, but those specifically interested in the old stuff will be able to
 > read it without going to the hassle of downloading the full set with FTP.

Excellent!  The implementation is a little different though; the old
versions are disallowed to web crawlers using robots.txt, and the
doc/versions.html has a "nofollow" <meta> tag.

 > You'll need to have at least one indexable page link to the old docs by name
 > and version, though, so that a search for "Python 1.4 documentation" etc
 > will succeed.

doc/versions.html is indexable and provides just that sort of entry
point.

Aahz writes:
 > +1 -- provided anyone has the time to do it

I think this is completed now.  If I've missed anything in
implementing this, please let me know.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>