[Doc-SIG] Re: [Docutils-develop] master plan for interpreted text?

David Goodger goodger@python.org
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 13:03:00 -0500

Mark Nodine wrote:
> David Goodger wrote:
>> It's not.  "type" has to be one of a pre-defined set of roles for which
>> there is parser and doctree support.  Each role will have an associated
>> method or function that understands the role's semantics.
>
> I'm confused.  There seems to be parser and doctree support, since it winds
> up in the pseudo-XML as::
>
>    <interpreted position="prefix" role="role">
>
> Can't the role be any string consisting of [a-zA-Z0-9_.-]+ ?

You must be looking at old code.  That was never intended to be the final
implementation, just a temporary placeholder.

The spec & code were revised about a month ago.  See my Jan 9 post,
'Docutils update: "interpreted text" reimplemented'.

-- David Goodger    http://starship.python.net/~goodger

Programmer/sysadmin for hire: http://starship.python.net/~goodger/cv