[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Documentation packages

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred at zope.com
Wed Oct 1 16:31:17 EDT 2003

Tim Peters writes:
 > Fred, do we have stats on how often each of the files got downloaded for
 > previous releases?

No, but we should be able to pull those from the server logs.  Maybe
this weekend I'll get time to write a script to pull that data out.

Tom Emerson writes:
 > I wouldn't switch to bz2. Even tgz can be confusing. Having .zip files
 > for Windows users and .tar.gz files for Unix users is a happy medium
 > that should work most everywhere.

Interesting.  bzip2 saves half a MB over gzip for the HTML and
PostScript formats.  What reason do you have for not using bzip2?  It
was very heavily requested for the file-size advantage.

 > Of course for maximum Unix
 > portability I suppose you could use .tar.Z ;-)

Except nobody remembers what to do with those anymore.  ;-)  I haven't
used compress/uncompress in *many* years.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation