[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Documentation packages

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Oct 2 09:43:14 EDT 2003

    Dethe> I've never known a *nix box to have trouble with *.zip or known a
    Dethe> unix user who had trouble with *.zip.  So I'd suggest keeping the
    Dethe> various flavors of documentation, but standardize on zip
    Dethe> compression.  That will at least remove one variable.

Agreed.  We did encounter a problem with a zip file in the SpamBayes group
recently which we believe (though haven't confirmed - the OP has apparently
gone underground) was related to WinZip problems.  As I understand it, if
you set an option in WinZip to "flatten" a zip file, all future zip files
are also flattened.  I guess it's a case of setting that option then poking
the "Save Options" or "OK" button, then forgetting that other zip files will
have structure which shouldn't be eliminated.

Skip