[Doc-SIG] Creating a new type of document

Derek Wyatt wyatt at syndesis.com
Tue Apr 13 07:47:35 EDT 2004

: I think you'll need:
:
: * a Reader (subclasses of docutils.readers.pep classes should
:    suffice),
: * transforms (subclasses/variations of docutils.transforms.peps
:    classes),
: * a Writer (subclasses of docutils.writers.pep_html classes),
: * a template file (variation of tools/pep-html-template),
: * possibly a stylesheet (variation of tools/stylesheets/pep.css), and
: * a front end (variation of tools/pep.py; don't use pep2html.py, which
:    contains a lot of non-Docutils legacy code).
:
: It may be cleaner to generalize some of the PEP-specific classes for
: easier subclassing; if so, we could add new generic "proposal" modules
: that PEP modules could use.

This is something i would prefer.  I'm really not sure when i'm going to have
time to do it though -- one of the reasons i chose docutils is because i'm busy
enough as it is :) --  so if someone else is hot to do this then don't wait for
me.

: Agreed.  You may want to take a look at other projects that have done
: the same thing:
:
: * PEGs (Proposals for Enhancing Gzz):
:    http://himalia.it.jyu.fi/gzzdoc/pegboard/pegboard.gen.html
:
: * GLEPs (Gentoo Linux Enhancement Proposals):
:    http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/
:
: Both of these have adopted Python's PEP system and reStructuredText
: for their own proposals.  If anyone knows of other projects that have
: done the same thing, please let me know.  I haven't looked at any of
: the actual code they use, so I can't say if it's done "correctly".

I'll have to contact these groups and see if i can get their source.  Based on
PEP, GLEP, PEG and my own, I might just be able to come up with the general
solution that suits everyone.

For now though i've got a hack working.  I munged up html4css1.py to shove in
some HTML comments in the spots i needed.  Then i post-processed the output and
replaced those with something functional.  Not the ideal solution to be sure,
but it works for now.

Give me some time and i hope to put in a better solution.

Thanks again,
Derek

:
: --
: David Goodger                               http://python.net/~goodger
: For hire: http://python.net/~goodger/cv

Derek Quinn Wyatt      |  Phone: (905) 886-7818 ext. 2314
Syndesis Engineering   |  Fax:   (905) 886-9076
Toronto, Ontario, CAN  |  Email: wyatt at syndesis.com
"Go away or I will replace you with a small, more cost-effective
 shell script."

"Necessary" Legalese: This email communication is CONFIDENTIAL.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or
disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in
the message and I ask that you please notify me at the telephone
number shown above or by return email and delete this communication
immediately. Thank you.