[Doc-SIG] Re: partial rewrite of the "extending and embedding" manual

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Aug 12 19:14:21 CEST 2004

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:

> Argh, thanks.  I'll fix that soon (the source is at home on the
> laptop).

I've uploaded a new version, which attempts to fix the problems Greg
reported and blathers on a bit more about a few things.

Still at

    http://starhip.python.net/crew/mwh/toext/

still waiting for more grammar/accuracy/obtuseness flames.

> Who designed this API? <wink>.

I've found a few things to complaing about, though :-)

Why ON EARTH do we have both PyObject_CallFunction and
PyEval_CallFunction?? (and ..Method).  The two functions do almost
exactly the same thing -- the only explanation I can think of is that
one of the pair got implemented by someone who realised they'd be
handy but didn't realize that they already (essentially) existed!

Also, PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords's error checking seems dubious.
This is even noted in a comment in getargs.c... also, the function
seems more inefficient than it really needs to be.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I'm about to search Google for contract assassins to go to Iomega
  and HP's programming groups and kill everyone there with some kind