[Doc-SIG] Re: ``invisible`` reST-directive

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Tue Jun 1 10:41:00 EDT 2004

Felix Wiemann wrote:
 > For a reader unfamiliar with reST, 'comment' would be almost as
 > confusing as the existing '..' syntax.
 >
 > 'comment' is only appropriate when thinking of reST as a 'real'
 > language.  However, it's rather a simple markup syntax, and at least
 > it shouldn't look like a language (as opposed to LaTeX, for
 > example).  Thus, 'invisible' describes more obviously what it does.

I'm not convinced.  reST is as real a markup language as any other,
and for better or worse, the accepted term in every markup language I
know of is "comment".  "Invisible" makes me think of the old HTML
<blink> tag, or of text rendered with the foreground color set the
same as the background color ("spoiler" text that you have to select
to read).  "Comment" is a precise and accurate term.  Let's not
innovate needlessly.

 >> And please, let's use another thread for the syntax discussion.
 >
 > What syntax discussion?  Do you mean the naming?

I mean the discussion in the "changing comment & directive syntax"
thread.  Thanks for replying there.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>