[Doc-SIG] API doc tool

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Mon May 17 16:52:45 EDT 2004

Howdy!

I am writing from the offices of Enthought, in Austin Texas.
Enthought is funding development work on an API documentation
generation tool that they need, which they're releasing under a
BSD-style license.  I'm here for a week of planning and initial
development.  I will be completing the development part-time over the
next several months.

This is a great opportunity to make significant progress on the tool
that I've been talking and thinking about for some time.  There is a
lot of good prior art that will be examined for this (Epydoc,
HappyDoc, others).  The initial basis of the tool will PEP 258's
description of the Python Source Reader [1], but I'm sure there will
be additions and changes as time goes on.  What form the final tool
takes is open to discussion right now, so feedback is welcome.

[1] http://docutils.sf.net/spec/pep-0258.html#python-source-reader

-- David Goodger