[Doc-SIG] Re: [development doc updates]

Johannes Gijsbers jlg at dds.nl
Wed Nov 17 10:26:46 CET 2004

[please CC, I am not subscribed]

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 01:44:52AM -0500, Fred L. Drake wrote:
> - All navigation icons are now on the left side.
>
> - The document title is pushed all the way to the right.

Shouldn't these two be the other way around? It feels rather unnatural
to have the document title on the right for someone who's grown up
reading left-to-right like me.

I would also link to see a link to the Python Documentation Index in the
upper left corner. This is a bit of a standard, and even though I've
been using the Python docs for a couple of years, I still frequently
find myself looking for the non-existent link to the index. As Jakob
Nielsen likes to say, "People spend most of their time on *other*
websites".

So, to summarize, I would like to see the navbar become like this:

"Python Documentation > Python Library Reference    <navigation icons>"

> - Some of the spaces between page elements have been reduced slightly.

This is about the 'letter-spacing: -x' declarations on the tt and
.keyword selectors, I think? If so, please take them out. They're far
too small under Firefox 1.0 + Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, to the point
where there's no space between an expression and a word [1]. IE renders
this better, but I suspect that this is just because under CSS1
"Browsers may treat any value of this property as if it was set to
'normal.'" [2].

The other changes, I like them a lot.

Cheers,

Johannes