[Doc-SIG] Re: [development doc updates]

Ueli Schläpfer u_schlaepfer at bluewin.ch
Thu Nov 18 22:15:53 CET 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:56:00 -0500
"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:

[...]
> The idea would be that the first things on the page would be the navigation
> links, with "Next" (as the presumably most-used) being the first.  Some of
> these links were always in the lead position.

[...]
> You can use the "Up" link to move out of the specific documents to the
> documentation index.

I've tried this, and found one thing quite annoying in a redesign that I
liked at first:

When one reaches the top level of *current* document, the "previous"
icon (which is on the far left) disappears, shifting all others by one
icon width to the left.  To get to the Documentation Index (i.e. the
list of documents), I have to follow that shift with the mouse, or I'll
keep cycling through the document.

I suggest making this an empty space on the top level pages and any page
that doesn't have a "Previous" button.  It's a small sacrifice of screen
real estate which would IMHO far outweigh the gain in usability.

Thanks,

Ueli