[Doc-SIG] Docutils and ResT

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Fri Oct 22 02:41:45 CEST 2004

[Michael Foord]
 > I hope progress is being made on pysource

Yes, I'm working on it now.  You can expect something before long.

 > Anyway - enough waffle. I'd like to convert docutils to emit *part*
 > of an html page. This is so that I can also write a preprocessor and
 > develop an automatic content management system for my website. This
 > will allow me to do all the content for my website in ResT rather
 > than HTML - hurrah.

There's an interface that does exactly that.  See
<http://docutils.sf.net/docs/api/publisher.html> for a brief overview.
You want the ``publish_parts`` function.

 > I'd also like to extend ResT a bit to add a few directives, so I'll
 > need to tinker with the reader which looks a bit more complex.

What kind of directives?

(Directives are added to the parser, not the reader.  See PEP 258 for
an overview.)

 > I am hoping that people won't object to me posting questions here
 > about this....

No objections.  That's what here is for!  The docutils-develop list is
also available.

 > p.s. If anyone is vaguely interested in my ideas I kind of
 > summarised them at :
 > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/documents/voidspace_manifesto.html

One suggestion: that page would look a lot better if the stylesheet
were installed on the site.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>