[Doc-SIG] Python docs in reST

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri May 27 18:23:02 CEST 2005

Michael Foord wrote:
> I would probably still do this with introspection - although I note the
> frustration of Mark Williamson trying to use Epydoc to generate docs for
> Twisted. It can't work for him *because* it uses introspection......

I think it's kind of inevitable; I don't think it's possible to make a
good document extraction system without object introspection, and that
it's easier to simply resolve the non-importability of modules (or build
docs on project machines that are fully set up, or whatever).  Obviously
this doesn't work well when you are trying to generate documents for
someone else's project, but I think it's possible to produce very good
results when the package wasn't intended for use with a given extraction
tool.