[Doc-SIG] that library reference, again

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jan 9 13:38:30 CET 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:

> Perhaps; I haven't played with the SF interface at all, so I don't know
> if you can prefill fields.  But it's still a pain, since logging into SF
> isn't seemless (since you don't get redirected back to where you started
> from).  Also, I don't know if the requirements for documentation match
> the code generally.  Being able to follow up on documentation bugs isn't
> as important, so if you don't always collect the submitters email
> address it's not that big a deal.  Doc maintainers may be willing to
> filter through a bit more spam if it means that they get more
> submissions, and so forth.  The review process probably isn't as
> important.  So I think it could be argued that code and documentation
> shouldn't even be on the same tracker.

fwiw, I'm not convinced that we need a tracker at all.  A mailing list
and a way to link to documentation constructs (with links that can
be read and written and followed by humans, and identified by com-
puters) might be good enough.

e.g.

    From: someone
    Subject: ancient browser references in cgi docs

    http://docs.python.org/ref/cgi

    mentioning grail is perhaps cute, but the talk about the "latest
    addition is to support a netscape 2.0 feature" feels a bit odd...

or

    From: someone
    Subject: confused by anydbm docs

    The text starts by mentioning that if the given file does not exist,
    whichdb is used to pick a module (from the set "listed above").  It
    then goes on to say that the default flag is "r" (open existing file
    only).  Does anydbm really attempt to import other modules in this
    case, or is it that only done for "c" and "n"?  What happens if the
    file exists and the flag is set to "n" ?

    http://docs.python.org/ref/anydbm.open

etc.

</F>