[Doc-SIG] [Python-Dev] [Preview] Comments and change proposals on documentation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 12:24:15 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Fred Drake <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM, average <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anonymous comments good too...
>
> I suspect anonymous comments fall into the same category as anonymous
> issue tracker submissions.  We've disallowed those for good reasons,
> and those make sense in this case as well.

Are you sure about that?

The problem with general tracker submissions is that we almost always
need additional information from the original submitter (what version,
what platform, does it work if you try version X+1, etc). Opening up
anonymous submissions would just mean more work for tracker folks in
trying to reproduce the problems, failing and then closing them as
"works for me" or "not enough information". None of those reasons
apply to doc comments - "this is wrong", "this is unclear and would be
better worded as 'make sure to do X before doing Y'" are potentially
useful even if the docs editors never hear from the submitter ever
again. The key difference is that the doc maintainers don't need to
try to reproduce anything - they just read the comment, decide whether
or not they agree with it and then either apply it, modify and then
apply it, or else deep-six it, never to be seen again.

Cheers,
Nick.