[Doc-SIG] reStructuredText writer?

Benoît Bryon benoit at marmelune.net
Mon May 13 15:19:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

Le 13/05/2013 14:31, Masklinn a écrit :
> I'm using docutils to transform and extract information from rst/sphinx
> documents[0]. I've made good progress, but I'm now looking for a way to
> extract inline content from the documents and re-serialize it to rST.
> The extraction should work (just recurse through non-Text non-Inline
> content and grab Inline and Text stuff) but I don't really see a way to
> re-serialize content to rST (such as an rST writer, which should be
> useful to apply mechanical transformations to rST documents anyway),
> is there none built-in or available through a third-party?
>
> [0] to move from a terrible home-grown translation system to Sphinx's builtin one

`rst2rst <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/rst2rst/0.2>`_ is a third-party
project.
It has a partial implementation of such a reStructuredText  writer.
Since the implementation is not complete, it cannot handle most documents...
That said, contributions are welcome! As an example, I haven't found a
smart implementation for elements such as lists. Let me know if you have
questions about the project.

Benoit