[Doc-SIG] docs.python.org/fr/3.6/ is online!

Julien Palard julien at palard.fr
Tue Aug 8 07:25:43 EDT 2017

Hi Inada,

> But I can"t see language switcher on Python 3.6 document.

Yes I'm currently backporting it to older branches (3.6 and 2.7 at least).

> We (Japanese translators) translates latest stable release, not
> development branch.

> Is it possible to publish Japanese only for 3.6 branch?

Current implementation of the switcher can't do it, see: https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/dff9b5f9d62aa0b23f8a255867d09d11890efd1b/Doc/tools/static/switchers.js but if it make sense, it may be enhanced.
We're also limited by the fact that switchers are versionned in cpython itself, so they will follow the freez (security only) cycles, typically blocking us to add/remove a translations to a frozen versions, which may or may not be a problem as old versions documentation are built without switchers (see: https://docs.python.org/3.4/).
Last comment about this is that the current script building the documentation will automatically find the nearest branch for translations, see: https://github.com/python/docsbuild-scripts/blob/master/build_docs.py#L132
meaning that if you're working on the 3.6 branch, the ja/3.7 directory will be built using your 3.6 po files, which may (or may not) be desirable. Advantages are:
- If a translation team want to translate 3.7 only, then can and 3.6 will be partially build using it
- If a translation team is late adding a new branch, the new branch will still be built for them using their old translations, which for an unknown timespan will not diverge a lot
- Crawlers can start discovering / indexing new branches before translators start working on them
Disadvantages are more obvious: Translations are only partials.
So, currently, if you push a 3.6 branch to python-docs-ja, ja/{2.7,3.5,3.6,3.7} will be built using it.

--
Julien Palard
https://mdk.fr