[Doc-SIG] About smart-quotes in translations

Adrian Liaw adrianliaw2000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 05:54:17 EDT 2018

Hi,

Recently the zh-tw translations ran into a smart-quotes problem that I
believe experienced by the Japanese team as well [1].  We're experiencing a
similar problem [2], but here in our generated html the quotes not only are
transformed into Chinese quotes automatically, but are also mismatching [3]
where they should be pairs of 「 and 」.

I also found out that the problem was fixed in GH-4006 [4] for Japanese
translations, I suggest that we should have the same fix for zh-tw, perhaps
zh-cn team would also want to do the same thing.

[1] https://github.com/python/docsbuild-scripts/issues/32
[2]
https://github.com/python/python-docs-zh-tw/pull/17#issuecomment-413134563
[3]
https://python-doc-tw.github.io/tutorial/venv.html#managing-packages-with-pip ,
see the sentence "pip 有好幾個子指令:」search」、」install」、」uninstall」、」freeze」
等等。(這可以參考安裝 Python 模組說明書來取得 pip 的完整文件說明。)"
[4] https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/4006

Best Regards,
Adrian Liaw
--