[Doc-SIG] Coordinating zh_TW (Taiwanese Mandarin) Translations

Julien Palard julien at palard.fr
Sat May 26 09:50:42 EDT 2018

Hi Adrian,

It's nice to get news from zh_TW!

> This is Adrian from Taiwan, I'm currently a core organising staff at PyCon TW, and I would like to volunteer as the coordinator of zh_TW (Taiwanese Mandarin) translations!

Having a coordinator for zh_TW would be great, and we do not have one... so welcome abord!

> However, I have a concern here, if I migrate the translations to the official Transifex project for Python documentation translations

The transifex project is not official, it may looks like official because almost everyone is using it, but it's not mandatory to use it.

Every country is free to use their own tool to coordinate their translation, we do not make Transifex mandatory.

> that way it may completely lost the metadata of each string including history and translator, which I think is probably a bad thing to happen. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there's some way to solve this problem or it's currently an unsupported feature (migrating translation metadata along with the translations) on Transifex?

I don't really know Transifex, but feel free to either ask them directy and/or stay in your own transifex organisation.

> Thank you for taking time reading this, thank you for your contributions, and I'm super excited about making more contributions to the Python community!

Thank you for contributing! Feel free to ask a repository on the cpython organization when you feel ready to migrate there. You'll have to use the same file hierarchy as other repos in order to have the docsbuild-scripts working with them, like : https://github.com/python/python-docs-fr or https://github.com/python/python-docs-ja.

It means to have a branch per version you translate, you're free to maintain the versions you like, a single one is OK, the branch name have to be the version (like "3.6"), and .po" files in the root of the repository, with "gettext_compact=0".

Feel free to copy or simply get inspiration from https://github.com/python/python-docs-fr/tree/3.6/Makefile to create the hierarchy / merge from upstream, sync with transifex (I use a local "transifex" branch to tx pull and tx push, the git to merge to/from the transifex branch).

Bests,
​--
Julien Palard
https://mdk.fr​