[Doc-SIG] Coordinating zh_TW (Taiwanese Mandarin) Translations

Shengjing Zhu zsj950618 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 13:59:10 EDT 2018

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 10:14 PM Julien Palard via Doc-SIG <
doc-sig at python.org> wrote:
> So can we simplify "zh-tw" to "zh"? I don't think so, as there is another
project, "zh-cn" (https://zhsj.github.io/python-docs-zh-cn/), but as I
don't speak chinese, I think Adrian also have its word on it.

Thanks for mentioning my repo. It's used for previewing the Chinese(China)
translation on transifex[1].

There are Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese, the former is mostly
used in China mainland and latter in Taiwan.
It's complicated to indicate these two languages in RFC 5646. The formal
should be zh-Hans-CN, and zh-Hant-TW.
Because there's also zh-Hans-SG(Simplified Chinese used in
Singapore)/zh-Hant-HK(Traditional Chinese used in Hongkong)/etc...
You can see all the language tags beginning with zh- prefix in iana[2]

However it's common to see zh-cn/zh-tw in various open source projects,
especially in sphinx[3].

So I'd like to keep using zh-cn and zh-tw as I didn't see there's much
translation effort in other varieties.

BTW, for zh_CN translations, we are slow at reaching the coverage. However
I've contacted Xiang Zhang(The only person I known using Chinese and also a
core developer) to get the work organized.

[1] https://www.transifex.com/python-doc/dashboard/all_projects/zh_CN/
[2]
https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry
[3] https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/tree/master/sphinx/locale