[Doc-SIG] Fwd: Getting translations from pootle.python.org

Ernest W. Durbin III ewdurbin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:39:34 EDT 2020

All the PO files I could find are available in a tarball at
https://legacy.python.org/pootle-pos.tgz
<http://legacy.python.org/pootle-pos.tgz>

See below signature for the README regarding pootle. Seems it was an
abandoned Google Summer of Code project.

If anything beyond the POs are necessary please let me know and I can grab
it for you.

-Ernest W. Durbin III

This is the python.org instance of Pootle reachable from pootle.python.org.
It
has been set up as part of the Google Summer of Code by Robert Lehmann with
Martin von Loewis. Pootle runs via Apache's mod_wsgi (cf. pootle/wsgi.py).

IF ANYTHING BREAKS, PLEASE CONTACT GSOC at ROBERTLEHMANN.DE.

Directory structure:
+ sphinx-i18n: Sphinx fork with internationalization features
+ pootle: Pootle fork
+ translate: Translate Toolkit fork
+ Doc: checkout of py3k documentation with locale_dirs set to `mo' and
  `sphinx.ext.oldcmarkup' loaded
+ newsphinx: virtual environment with sphinx-i18n installed
+ locale: exchange directory for Pootle and Sphinx; contains one directory
per
  project, and one directory per language in turn (with .POT files ending
up in
  templates/).
+ mo: stored MO files for individual languages in a folder called
LC_MESSAGES
for compatibility with gettext.
+ html: localized HTML builds of the py3k documentation
+ migr: artifacts of the conversion from SQLite to Postgres

Previously, the default Apache user (`nobody') needed access to the locale/
and
pootle/dbs/ directories for Pootle to run smoothly.  Apache WSGI now drops
into
user `pootle' correctly.

Scripts:
+ update-mo: build MO files from locale/python/*/*.po to
mo/*/LC_MESSAGES/*.mo
  (requires msgfmt)
+ update-software: update the checkouts and install packages where
neccessary
  (in virtualenv, requires hg/git)
+ update-templates: build POT files from Doc/ to
locale/python/templates/*.po
  (requires Sphinx with i18n support, automatically updates checkout)
+ update-intl: build HTML docs from locale/ translations and Doc/ sources

Cronjobs:
+ daily at 7pm: update-mo and update-intl (ie. a translated build from
Pootle
  sources) with logging to ~/html/build.log

Security Considerations:
+ Apache runs the WSGI script ~/pootle/wsgi.py as user `pootle' and serves
  ~/pootle/html statically.

-- http://gsoc.robertlehmann.de/