[docs] Docs development entrypoint (Was: Mailing list dead pile and private lists)

Georg Brandl georg at python.org
Sun Apr 25 16:43:16 CEST 2010

Am 25.04.2010 15:45, schrieb anatoly techtonik:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Georg Brandl <georg at python.org> wrote:
>>> docs-sig at python.org - non-intuitive development name, but it's
>>> documentation development group
>>
>> Non-intuitive or not, it is a SIG and therefore that name is the
>> right one.
>
> The problem that SIGs is a common name only in some subset of English
> or American culture. DEV is international. SIG abbreviation should be
> expanded on entrypoint pages to give new users a safe feeling of
> understanding without resorting to silly explanations or slang.

Of course, "Special interest group" can be put on the mailing list page.

>>> 2. rename doc-sig@ to doc-dev@ (or docs-dev@?)
>>
>> As I said above, this change is not useful.
>
> Whatever it is, I can live with it as long as I am not forced to
> subscribe to YAML. =) But it is not really an argument. Arguments are
> either:
> 1. it is a well established name linked all over the web that people use

"All over the web" isn't necessary; SIGs are an institution of the Python
community.  There are many of them; will you want to change all their names
one after another?

> 2. it is "inconvenient" to bother admins
> 3. -sig suffix is better than -dev, because ...
>   3.1. there are not many people subscribed and they would have to
> resubscribe (bad one)
>   3.2. people are lazy to remember the new name
>   3.3. people who actually DO stuff prefer it THIS way (perhaps the
> only good one)

And this is the last thing I will say on that topic: I can't see "people
who actually DO stuff" demanding that it be changed.

>>> 3. merge various HTML pages (including mailman) into one/two
>>> entrypoint page and allow community update it
>>> 4. 3 obviously requires a Wiki page
>>
>> I agree that the doc-SIG pages are outdated.  I will ask the SIG coordinator
>> what we should do with the old content, and then update the pages
>> accordingly.
>
> That's good. The bad part that it is probably seen by many, but to
> reports this I am alone.

That may be an indication that its importance just isn't what you judge
it to be.

>>> (I still don't understand people who don't like web interfaces, but
>>> still firing email agent to fill their GUI email form fields that is
>>> no different from web-based except that fields are not autofilled
>>> using browser cookie).
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean, sorry.  Mailing lists are called that
>> for a reason.
>
> I mean that ML is not the only way of communication and hybrid systems
> all already everywhere. Google Groups is one of the most popular.

Yes.  That does not mean they are to be preferred.

Georg