[docs] [issue9119] Python download page needs to mention crypto code in Windows installer

Martin v. Löwis report at bugs.python.org
Fri Aug 27 16:39:28 CEST 2010

Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> added the comment:

> Since we are not following those old-style BSD license requirements

You state that is if it was a fact, which is it not. We, indeed, fully
comply with the license requirements.

> The python.org site is full of references to OpenSSL. Most
> prominently in the documentation of the ssl and hashlib modules,
> but also in the release notes/news and other files.

Sure, but this is not advertising material. It's technical documentation.

> So you'd rather have some users get in trouble for downloading
> and using crypto software, due import laws or domestic laws
> restricting its use in their country ?

I don't believe that users actually will get into troubles for
downloading Python. If they would, a notice is likely not to have
any effect on that - if there is a real risk that users will get
into trouble, most likely, they know before downloading what
that trouble might be.

If you really wanted to post a notice telling people that doing illegal
things may cause problems, for all the illegal things that you can
do with Python, you'll end up with a long list. For example, Python
can be used to break into other computer systems (as can any programming
environment with a networking API) - should we now include a notice
saying

"Python can be used to break into remote computers, using the network
services of Python. Please note that breaking into other computers
may not be legal in your country of residence. It is your responsibility
to make sure you meet all local import and use requirements for
networking code when downloading and using the Python Windows installers."

I hope you agree that would be silly.

title: Python download page needs to mention crypto code in Windows installer -> Python download page needs to mention crypto code in	Windows installer