[docs] [issue10610] Correct the float(), int() and complex() documentation

Marc-Andre Lemburg report at bugs.python.org
Fri Dec 3 10:14:07 CET 2010

Marc-Andre Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> added the comment:

Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

> Alexander Belopolsky <belopolsky at users.sourceforge.net> added the comment:
>
> Should we also review the documentation for fractions and decimals?  For example, fractions are documented as accepting "strings of decimal digits", but given that we have presumably non-identical str.isdigit() and str.isdecimal() methods, the above definition begs a question whether accepted strings should be digits, decimals or both?

The term "decimal digit" is defined in the Unicode standard as those code
points having the category "Ld". See
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.2.0/ch04.pdf

The methods .isdecimal(), .isdigit() and .isnumeric() check the
availability the resp. field entries 6, 7 and 8 in the UCD

See http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/#Numeric_Type for details
and http://www.unicode.org/Public/6.0.0/ucd/extracted/DerivedNumericType.txt
for the full list of code points with these fields set.

The docs for those methods need to be updated as well. Doing this
for .isdigit() and .isnumeric() is a bit difficult, though, since
the code points don't fall into just a single category.

The best option is to refer to the code point properties
Numeric_Type=Decimal for .isdecimal(), Numeric_Type=Digit
for .isdigit() and Numeric_Type=Numeric for .isnumeric().

The resp. numeric values are available via the unicodedata module.