[docs] [issue10702] bytes and bytearray methods are not documented

Alexander Belopolsky report at bugs.python.org
Wed Dec 15 21:05:02 CET 2010

Alexander Belopolsky <belopolsky at users.sourceforge.net> added the comment:

> I was persuaded there was already a bug open with a patch adding
> bytes and bytearray in the sequence methods table, but I can’t find it.

I can't find it either, but this issue is different.  I propose renaming "String Methods" to "String, bytes and bytearray methods" and

str.capitalize()
bytes.capitalize()
bytearray.capitalize()

Return a copy of the string with its first character capitalized and the rest lowercased.  [Discuss Unicode vs bytes details.]

BTW, the "For 8-bit strings, this method is locale-dependent." part is probably out of date because bytes.capitalize() seems to pass non-ASCII bytes through:

>>> bytes([ord('è')]).capitalize()[0] == ord('è')
True

and for unicode strings the operation is *not* locale dependent.