[docs] [issue10728] argparse.ArgumentParser.print_help uses sys.stdout

R. David Murray report at bugs.python.org
Sat Dec 18 05:09:27 CET 2010

R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> added the comment:

I think this is a documentation bug, since IMO help should print on stdout, not stderr[1].  I would expect print_usage to do likewise, but for the error to tell print_usage to write to stderr when it calls it...which is exactly what the code does.

[1] I know some unix commands print help to stderr, and this really annoys me when I pipe long help output to less....and it *still* scrolls off the screen.

assignee:  -> docs at python
components: +Documentation -Library (Lib)
nosy: +bethard, docs at python, r.david.murray
stage:  -> needs patch