[docs] [issue8595] Explain the default timeout in http-client-related libraries

Eric Smith report at bugs.python.org
Thu Jul 1 16:13:57 CEST 2010

Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com> added the comment:

I think you could preserve backward compatibility by doing something like the following (in httplib):

_sentinel = object()
__HTTP_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT = _sentinel

In httplib.HTTPConnection.__init__(), in Python 2.6.

   def __init__(self, host, port=None, strict=None,
                timeout=None):
      if timeout is None:
         if _HTTP_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT is _sentinel:
            timeout = socket._GLOBAL_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT
         else:
            timeout = _HTTP_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT

That way, if _HTTP_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT is never set, it will use the the socket timeout. Admittedly I'd rather see all uses of module globals go away, but I think this would be a good compromise.

nosy: +eric.smith